“A 40oz to freedom is the only chance I have to feel good...” – Sublime

“...two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.” – Henry Rollins

“Adult males > 200lbs” – 70’s Big

Friday, January 20, 2012

Finally

- Squat: 112.5/248 x 5, 122.5/270 x 5, 132.5/292 x 5
- Weighted Chin: 25/55 x 3 x 6
- Conditioning: Prowler x 10 x 20m trips with 163lb in 10:00 (alternating high/low handles)

I struggled today again. My hips, back, quads and adductors were all still feeling pretty beat up. My shoulders were feeling very tight as well. I had wanted to do some glute-ham raises and rows, but I just felt too beat-up.

I was going to write up a long-winded review of my current situation, but I’ll just say this:

I want to train for life. I want a plan for the long term. I want to get stronger over the course of the next 10 years, not just the next 10 weeks. I want a logical and specific system of progression so I don’t have worry if I what I’m doing is too heavy, too light or too much. I want to remove the guess work and just get stronger. I don’t want lifting to interfere with other parts of my fitness. I don’t want to spend 5 days recovering from a high-volume deadlift session and not be able to sprint and run and jump. I want to play football this year, do more multi-day hikes and improve my 40m time. I want to do all of this while slowly but surely getting stronger, 1 pound at a time.

This is why, after much indecision, “programme-hoping” and uncertainty I am finally going to start 5/3/1. It will be liberating to simply follow the long term blueprint that it provides. I will put my ego aside and start too light, so that I can finally start training for life.

2 comments:

  1. You know something? I think you should do 5/3/1. And another thing; kick Wilso outta 'ya gym. He's slowing you down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm going to finish this cycle of Steel's big bench of course and max out my deadlift on Tuesday, but after that its 5/3/1 for life.

      And Wilso aint even here at the moment, but when he gets back, he's got six weeks to start making some serious progress with his squat and dead or he's gonna have his membership revoked.

      Delete