“A 40oz to freedom is the only chance I have to feel good...” – Sublime

“...two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.” – Henry Rollins

“Adult males > 200lbs” – 70’s Big

Thursday, May 3, 2012

- Bench: 82/180 x 5, 93/205 x 3, 104/229 x 6 (rep PR)
- Incline: 62.5/138 x 5, 72.5/160 x 5, 80/176 x 5
- DB Row: 40/88 x 3 x 10
- Pull Up: 30 total
- Bi/Tri: 2 x 15

Pretty disappointed with my bench. Yeah, I got the 6 reps which is a PR, but the last rep was a real fucking grind – I mean, the hardest fucking rep I’ve ever done, on any lift. I can’t say that this came as a complete surprise, because my press on Monday felt heavier than it should have (and I find the press to be a pretty good indicator of my bench strength) and so I had a suspicion that something was up with my upper body lifts.

So the first thing I’m going to do is drop the frequency method pushups all together. I’m currently doing 5 sets of 42 with ease and while I don’t feel that they are doing me any harm (in that I’m not sore and they haven’t gotten any harder) I want to determine if they are in fact negatively effecting my presses. If my pressing continues to stall despite dropping the FM pushups, I will have to look at maybe not pushing quite so hard on the upper body stuff, so for example, maybe on the second wave of each month only performing the requisite reps, and pushing a little harder in the first and third waves (I’m pretty sure Wendler discusses this very thing, though I can’t find where).

No comments:

Post a Comment